- Online degrees in business, Monroe College, https://www.monroecollege.edu/Online/Online-Degrees/Online-Graduate-Degrees/Online-Masters-Business-Administration-Degree/
- About Monroe Online, Monroe College, https://www.monroecollege.edu/Online/About-Online/
New York University
- Online Degrees, New York University, https://www.nyu.edu/academics/nyu-online/growing-online-offerings/online-degrees.html
- Online Certificates, New York University, https://www.nyu.edu/academics/nyu-online/growing-online-offerings/online-certificates.html
- Online Master of Science in Quantitative Management, New York University, https://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admissions/masters-programs/online-ms-quantitative-management/
- Bachelor of Science in Organizational Management, Nyack University, https://www.nyack.edu/site/bs-bps-organizational-management/
- Master of Science in Organizational Leadership, Nyack College, https://www.nyack.edu/site/msol/
- Hotel & Restaurant Management Online BBA, SUNY Delhi, https://www.delhi.edu/academics/online/hotel-restaurant-management/index.php
Fashion Institute of Technology
- Online Degree Programs, Fashion Institute of Technology, http://www.fitnyc.edu/online-learning/degrees.php
- FAQ, Fashion Institute of Technology, http://www.fitnyc.edu/online-learning/faq.php
The New School
- Online Programs, The New School, https://www.newschool.edu/academics/online-programs/
- Strategic Design and Management, The New School, https://www.newschool.edu/parsons/masters-design-management/
- Online Programs, Alfred State University, http://www.alfredstate.edu/academics/online/online-learning#Programs
- BTech Degree, Alfred State University, http://catalog.alfredstate.edu/current/programs/healthcare-management-btech/
- Online Business at Syracuse, Syracuse University, https://onlinebusiness.syr.edu/accounting/
- Online Master of Science in Professional Accounting, Syracuse University, https://onlinebusiness.syr.edu/accounting/
- Online Business and Leadership Programs, Medaille College, https://www.medaille.edu/medaille-online
- JPMorgan Chase Leads list of 45 New York Companies on the new Fortune 500 ranking, Bizjournals.com, https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/news/2017/06/07/new-york-fortune-500-ranking.html
- May 2017 State Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates, New York, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, https://www.bls.gov/oes/2017/may/oes_ny.htm#11-0000
- At Risk: New York's Future as the World Financial Capital, Partnership for New York City, June 2015, https://pfnyc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/2015-06-world-financial-capital.pdf
- Total Gross Domestic Product for New York, St. Louis Fed, https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/NYNGSP
- Fashion Industry, New York City International Business, https://www1.nyc.gov/site/internationalbusiness/industries/fashion-industry.page
- New York is a Genuine Tech Hub, New York Times, Nov. 14, 2018, https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/14/technology/new-york-tech-jobs-amazon-hq2.html
- IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, http://research.ibm.com/labs/watson/
The state of New York, and New York City in particular, has long been a global center for business. There are more Fortune 500 companies headquartered in New York than any other state (45 of them, to be exact). These business titans include financial services companies such as J.P. Morgan Chase, Citigroup and Morgan Stanley, and insurance giants such as MetLife, Guardian and AIG. New York's deep roots in the media and fashion industries are reflected in the headquarters for Ralph Lauren, Coach, Tiffany, News Corp., CBS and Time.
Students who pursue degrees from top online business schools in New York, such as the ones listed below, should have ample opportunities to land their dream job. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, New York in 2017 employed more than 470,000 managers in various business positions, including 12,440 chief executives, 160,760 general and operations managers and 40,570 finance managers. Additionally, there were hundreds of thousands of people employed in various strategic business positions, such as financial analysts, management analysts, accountants, and other positions that typically require baccalaureate or graduate-level educational obtainment as a basis for employment. Students can gain entry into these careers by earning a degree from an online business school in New York.
3 Facts about Business in New York
- New York has a large presence in a huge number of different industries, including manufacturing, professional and business services, construction, healthcare, construction and technology. The state's Gross Domestic Product in 2017 was more than 1.6 trillion.
- Not for nothing is New York City known as the financial capital of the world. About 37 percent of New York City's economic output is generated from the financial services sector, which includes banking, public stock markets, insurance and other financial vehicles. Companies such as Salesforce, Facebook and Google employ thousands of workers in New York, and IBM's Thomas J. Watson Research Center is headquartered at facilities in Yorktown Heights and Albany.
- New York's fashion industry, also centered in New York City, is home to more headquarter operations of major fashion brands than any other state. The city hosts more than 75 major fashion shows annually. The New York City International Business organization offers numerous initiatives to support and grow this prominent sector of the city and state's economy.
Most Popular Business Degrees in New York
Below is our ranking of the most popular Business degrees in New York, based off how many degrees of each type were awarded by New York schools in the 2017-18 school year.
How to pick a business major that's best for you?
Considering the sheer number of online business programs New York has to offer, it can be difficult to decide what the best business major might be for you. When you're trying to figure out what online business program in New York you might like to study, it can be helpful to look at the options based on your personal interests and skills. Here are a few examples:
- Students interested in working on Wall Street or other parts of New York's financial industry should find no shortage of finance degree programs from the accredited business schools in New York. These programs are a natural fit for students who excel at math and analytical thinking. Students who earn graduate degrees in a financial specialty from online business programs in New York may be able to find employment in key financial positions such as financial advisors, financial operations managers or corporate finance directors.
- If you're not sure what kind of career you'd be interested in pursuing, or if you'd like to have access to several different career options, business can open doors to many different opportunities at once. Marketing, management and human resources are necessary in just about any kind of industry. Earning a degree in one of these subjects from one of the best business colleges in New York can open opportunities in tourism, technology, insurance or education, to name just a few.
- New York's extensive fashion industry is a natural fit for creative students looking for a stylish take on their business interactions. A wide variety of online business degree programs can be relevant to a career in fashion, from global business to marketing, from logistics to entrepreneurship. Even more directly, many of the online business schools in New York offer regional and local concentrations in fashion merchandising, management and/or media.
If you're not sure how you can pursue your passions in the field of business, you can always ask for advice. Choosing a major, especially a business major, is a very important decision, so don't hesitate to consult with an academic or career advisor to help you consider all the possibilities before selecting one.
Best Online Business Schools in New York
Students can use our ranking of the best online business schools in New York to learn about the many online business degree programs that can be completed in the Empire State. We created these rankings by analyzing data from the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS), including factors such as tuition costs, number of degrees awarded and percentage of students receiving financial aid.
Each college and university featured offers online business degree programs New York students can take advantage of, delivered either 100-percent online or in a hybrid format that requires some on-campus attendance.
1. Monroe College
Kicking off our list of the best business colleges in New York is this private for-profit college in New York City. Monroe College offers online degree programs in a variety of different business-related subjects, aimed at a variety of different degree levels. The college has a particular focus on online management programs, with subjects ranging from business administration and business management, to sports management and hospitality management. There are also accounting programs available at the associate and bachelor's degree level.
Classes at Monroe are taught in either a seven-and-a-half-week or 15-week timeframe, and with asynchronous delivery, students can complete work when it's most convenient for them. Courses include a variety of instructional delivery methods, including audio and video lessons, journals and blogs. Distance learners also are paired with a personal student counselor to help pave a smooth pathway from registration to graduation.
2. New York University
New York University is a cornucopia of opportunities for students interested in business. Undergraduate students can study social science or leadership and management studies, both with the option for business-focused concentrations. Graduate students, meanwhile, may be interested in an online master's degree program such as:
- Human resource management and development
- Management and systems
- Project management
- Quantitative management
Students looking for a more focused and direct path to learning skills in a particular subject may be more interested in NYU's online certificate programs, with options in advanced valuation, corporate finance, financial technology (aka fintech), and corporate sustainability. With so many options, it's no surprise this university makes our list of best business colleges in New York.
3. Nyack College
This diverse Christian college and seminary in New York City offers fully online Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Professional Studies programs in organizational management, as well as a master's in organizational leadership.
The undergraduate programs are designed as degree-completion programs -- students can transfer between 60 and 84 credits from life experience, career experience or prior learning. Classes are offered once a week to accommodate working students. The college launches a new cohort six times a year, so students can begin when they find it most convenient.
The 33-credit master's program takes approximately a year to complete and utilizes a holistic approach to business leadership by integrating faith principles with leadership research and theories. Courses are mostly delivered synchronously, while assignments are asynchronous. The master's program begins each September and January and is capped at 20 students.
4. SUNY College of Technology at Delhi
SUNY Delhi's fully online Bachelor of Business Administration in hotel and restaurant management degree program was among the first of its kind at U.S. postsecondary institutions. The program focuses on "the fiscal responsibilities and management duties that leaders and entrepreneurs in the [hotel and restaurant] industry face," with courses in topics such as hospitality law and financial management. The school also offers an online BBA in culinary arts management, a program that is targeted specifically at "the rigors of managing and running a culinary facility."
Online coursework for these programs is delivered through Moodle, the college's campus learning management system. Distance learners are assigned a dedicated academic adviser upon acceptance to guide them through the program and supply career guidance. The college also offers online tutoring in many different subject areas. As an added bonus, SUNY Delhi students may have the option of participating in a six-month internship at Walt Disney World in Orlando.
5. Fashion Institute of Technology
New York's Fashion Institute of Technology offers two degree-completion programs in business, delivered through the Blackboard content management system. The online associate in fashion business management program is for students who've completed at least 30 college credits, and it focuses on merchandising skills relevant to sales, purchasing, creative presentation or management. Meanwhile, the online bachelor's in international trade and marketing is aimed at students who have earned at least 60 credits. It explores topics relevant to management of global fashion and international trade.
FIT's online courses follow the same semester schedule as on-campus coursework. Courses are delivered asynchronously, so students can complete their coursework when it's most convenient for them, but distance learners face regular deadlines and due dates for assignments. Distance learners who can't attend the FIT campus in New York may have to work with their professors to arrange for proctored exams.
6. The New School
This New York City-based school, founded in 1919, offers online degree programs through Open Campus, its portal for distance education. Online classes are typically delivered asynchronously, so students can complete assignments and engage in coursework at any time.
The New School offers online business degree programs in strategic design and management that culminate in either a Master of Science or a Global Executive Master of Science degree. The MS program can be completed fully online in about 22 months; however, students are required to complete a one-week studio program in New York City.
On the other hand, the Global MS program is delivered in a blended format consisting of online coursework and on-site learning at the New School's facilities in Paris, New York City and Shanghai (thus putting the "global" in the name). The Global MS program requires an 18-month time commitment.
7. SUNY College of Technology at Alfred
The SUNY College of Technology at Alfred offers multiple business-related bachelor's degree completion programs for students who seek to advance their careers into management positions. Through their online portal, Alfred State Online, the school offers fully online programs in technology management, construction supervision and human services management. These programs are designed for working professionals who already hold an associate's degree, and all offer students an opportunity to pursue an internship during their studies.
Online classes offered through Alfred State Online run for seven weeks, and are delivered via the Blackboard content management system. The institution also offers online tutoring in math and writing to support its distance learners.
8. Syracuse University
Syracuse University's Martin J. Whitman School of Management hosts online master's degree programs in accounting, business administration, business analytics and entrepreneurship. The online M.B.A. program has the option for further specializations in:
- Marketing management
- Supply chain management
- Business analytics
Some of Syracuse's programs, such as the M.S. in professional accounting, can be completed through real-time online and self-paced courses. (The accountancy program also can be completed in an accelerated 12-month timeframe.) Others, such as the M.B.A. program, require three on-site residencies in select U.S. and international cities, where students participate in workshops and networking opportunities.
9. Medaille College
Rounding out our list of the top online business programs in New York is Medaille College, a private liberal arts college in Buffalo that offers five online degree programs in business. Undergraduate students can pursue an Associate of Science in business or a Bachelor of Business Administration. Grad students, meanwhile, may choose to pursue their online master's degree in either business administration or organizational leadership.
Online business degree programs are delivered asynchronously at Medaille -- students can complete their coursework at any time. However, classes still have regular assignment and test due dates, with course materials managed and delivered through the Blackboard system. Programs start every spring, summer and fall.
Professional Business Organizations in New York
Students enrolled in one of the best online business schools in New York may also wish to join one of the professional organizations listed below. These business and industry groups offer many opportunities for students to network and connect with working professionals through local events, seminars and annual events.
- New York Women in Business
- Executives Association New York City
- New York City Chamber of Commerce
- New York Fashion and Retail Association, Manhattan
- New York Fashion Association, New York City