- American Factfinder, U.S. Census Bureau, accessed November 2015, http://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?src=CF
- Central Maine Medical Center College of Nursing and Health Professions, http://www.usnews.com/education/community-colleges/central-maine-medical-center-college-of-nursing-and-health-professions-CC01162
- Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area, Bureau of Labor Statistics, accessed November 2015, http://www.bls.gov/news.release/metro.t01.htm
- Evening and Online Courses, Eastern Maine Community College, http://www.emcc.edu/enrollment-center/evening-online-courses/
- Maine: Things to Do, http://visitmaine.com/places-to-go/the-kennebec-valley/augusta/
- May 2014 State Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates, Maine, Bureau of Labor Statistics, accessed November 2015, http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_me.htm
- Online Degree Programs, Areas of Study, Saint Joseph's College, https://www.sjcme.edu/academics/areas_of_study/online/
- Online Degree Programs, Kennebec Valley Community College, http://www.kvcc.me.edu/Pages/Off-Campus-Programs/Programs-Offered-Online
- Online Degree Programs, Southern New Hampshire University, http://www.snhu.edu/online-degrees/certificates
- Online Degree Programs, York County Community College, http://www.yccc.edu/online-learning/online-degree-programs/
- Online Learning, Central Maine Community College, http://cmconnect.cmcc.edu/ICS/Students/Course_Info_and_Registration.jnz?portlet=Course_Schedules&screen=Advanced+Course+Search&screenType=next
- Programs of Study, Washington County Community College, http://www.wccc.me.edu/academics/programs/programs-study/
- Regional Accrediting Organizations 2016-2017, Council for Higher Education Accreditation, accessed January 2017, http://www.chea.org/Directories/regional.asp
- Things to do in Portland - A Visitor's Guide, Maine Today, http://mainetoday.com/maine-travel/things-to-do-in-portland-maine-visitors-guide-tourist/
- University College, University of Maine system, http://learn.maine.edu/programs/
- USM Online, University of Southern Maine, https://usm.maine.edu/online/degrees-certificates#undergraduate
- Visit Greater Bangor Maine, http://www.visitbangormaine.com/index.php?id=339&sub_id=282
- Finance Authority of Maine - Educators for Maine Program, Accessed April 2017, http://www.famemaine.com/maine_grants_loans/educators-for-maine-program/
- Finance Authority of Maine - Maine Dental Education Loan Program, Accessed April 2017, http://www.famemaine.com/maine_grants_loans/maine-dental-education-loan-program/
- Finance Authority of Maine - Paying for College, Accessed April 2017, http://www.famemaine.com/education/topics/paying-for-college/
According to the state of Maine, there are nine four-year colleges and universities in Maine that offer online programs. These online colleges in Maine include the seven campuses of the University of Maine — Orono, Augusta, Presque Isle, Machias, Farmington, Fort Kent and Southern Maine — as well as Southern New Hampshire University in Brunswick, Maine, and Saint Joseph's College. In addition, several community colleges in Maine offer online degree programs as well as individual online classes that can be combined with face-to-face classes to work toward a degree. The number of online degree programs offered at online colleges in Maine at each level is as follows:
- Online associate degree: 25 programs from 5 schools
- Online bachelor's degree: 176 programs from 9 schools
- Online graduate degree: 77 programs from 7 schools
- Graduate certificate: 66 programs from 6 schools
- Undergraduate certificate: 21 programs from 4 schools
Students can earn a bachelor's degree from 21 colleges in Maine. Eight of those schools are public colleges, including the University of Maine system of campuses, and 11 are private, nonprofit schools. The only private for-profit college in Maine, Kaplan University, operates two campuses in Maine, which are in Augusta and Portland.
In addition to the seven campuses that the University of Maine system operates, Maine also boasts five conveniently located community colleges around the state. Read the following data below to learn more about online colleges in Maine, including a list of online colleges in Maine ranked by tuition costs, from the lowest to the highest.
Financial Aid in Maine
The state of Maine offers several student loans to its residents, each of which is provided by the Finance Authority of Maine (FAME). These loans are available primarily for students pursuing degrees in the fields of education and healthcare. You should always look into scholarships and grants before pursuing state, federal, or private loans since scholarship and grant money is "gift aid" that does not need to be repaid. Should you decide to seek federal financial assistance for your degree, keep in mind that you will need to fill out the FAFSA with details about your family's financial situation in order to qualify.
- Application deadline: May 1, 2017
- Award amount: Up to $3,000 per year ($12,000 total) for undergraduates
- Application deadline: May 30, 2017
- Award amount: Up to $20,000 per year ($80,000 total)
Find out more about the process of applying for student loans and what types of loans are available in the Ultimate Guide to Student Loans.
Additional Resources for Financial Aid in Maine
- FAME - Paying for College provides information for Maine students on all of the different ways they can obtain financial assistance for their education.
Featured Cities In Maine
Data for the charts on these featured metropolitan areas is sourced from the 2015 American Community Survey (census.gov).
There are a couple of must-sees when visiting Portland, Maine. One is the Old Port district of downtown Portland, where cobblestone streets are lined with great restaurants, bars and brew pubs. The second attraction is the L.L. Bean flagship store in Freeport, Maine, which has created a vibrant outlet shopping experience for the entire town.
Bangor, ME Metro Area
Median salary for high school grads
Median salary with a bachelor's degree
% of the population enrolled in college or grad school
Bangor, in addition to being one of the favorite haunts of author Stephen King, is just a short drive from the magnificent Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor on the Maine Coast. The University of Maine is just a short drive away in Orono.