Online Colleges for Literacy & Reading Master Degrees
- Adult Basic and Secondary Education and Literacy Teachers and Instructors, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Employment Statistics, May 2014. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes253011.htm
- Adult Literacy and High School Equivalency Diploma Teachers, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, Jan. 8, 2015. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/adult-literacy-and-ged-teachers.htm#tab-6
- Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, Jan. 8, 2015. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes252021.htm
- High School Teachers, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, Jan. 8, 2015. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/high-school-teachers.htm
- Kindergarten and Elementary School Teachers, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, Jan. 8, 2015. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/kindergarten-and-elementary-school-teachers.htm
- Librarians, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, Jan. 8, 2015. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/librarians.htm
- Librarians, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Employment Statistics, May 2014. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes254021.htm
- Secondary School Teachers, Except Special and Career/Technical Education, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Employment Statistics, May 2014. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes252031.htm
- Adult Basic and Secondary Education and Literacy Teachers and Instructors, U.S. Department of Labor, 2015. http://www.onetonline.org/link/details/25-3011.00#Education
Literacy and Reading Careers
Whether teaching phonics to a child, helping an adult master a new language or honing the comprehension skills of more advanced readers, those who work in literacy and reading careers do the important work of helping people understand everything from street signs to scientific treatises. There are many different jobs within the literacy and reading field, including grade school reading teacher, adult literacy educator, English as a second language instructor and content literacy specialist. However, if you have a passion for reading but don't want to teach, you might want to become a librarian or work for an organization that promotes literacy.
Literacy and Reading Online Programs
Just as there are many literacy and reading careers, there are a variety of degree programs related to this field. If you're interested in becoming an early childhood or elementary school reading teacher, you might get a bachelor's degree in education, English or another subject in the humanities, as well as a teaching certificate and license. To teach reading to adults, most people obtain a master's degree. According to a survey of professionals in this field by the U.S. Department of Labor, 57 percent of adult literacy teachers reported having a master's and 43 percent reported having a bachelor's degree. These credentials, many of which are offered through online programs, include the Master of Science in Education: Teaching English Language Learners and the Master of Arts in Education: Reading Literacy degrees. There are any other number of online literacy and reading programs that can advance your skills. These focus in areas such as curriculum and instruction, literacy in specific content modules and early childhood education.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects job growth of 12 percent for elementary school teachers and 6 percent for high school teachers 2012-2022. The BLS-reported May 2014 annual mean wage was $56,830 for elementary school teachers and $59,330 for high school teachers. Adult literacy teachers earned a mean wage of $52,83, according to May 2014 data, but their 2012-2022 projected job growth was 9 percent. Librarians earned a 2014 mean wage of $58,110, with expected growth of 7 percent predicted in the field by 2022. With the right kind of training, either through a traditional school or online, the skills you gain could be fitting for one of these literacy occupations.