Online Organizational Psychology Schools & Colleges
If you want to help improve the way a corporation, nonprofit or other entity functions, you might want to consider training in organizational psychology. While this field does have its basis in psychology and will have you doing analysis, research and statistics, you'll also learn a lot about leadership, performance management and motivation. As an organizational psychologist, you can be one of those people in the workplace who helps to improve the qualify of life for employees, volunteers and staff members, whether that means listening to concerns or helping find solutions to problems.
Organizational Psychology Online Colleges
Most organizational psychology degrees are available at the graduate level. This is because, at the bachelor's level, degrees are mainly offered in the generalized field of psychology, although you could find some with a concentration in organizational psychology. At the more advanced degree level, you can can find programs available in psychology with an emphasis in organizational psychology or those that directly focus on organizational psychology. If you are ready to work on your master's degree, chances are you could already be employed in the psychology field and need a convenient way to pursue your education. A number of organizational psychology degrees that are available online could be helpful. Some of these include the Master of Science in Organizational and Human Resource Development and the Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in Organizational Psychology. This latter program offers classes, such as:
- Job Perception and Experience
- Psychology of Motivation at Work
- Personnel Psychology in the Workplace
You can also find doctoral level programs in organizational psychology programs available online. One such program offered online uses curriculum based on competencies noted as essential by the Society of Industrial and Organization Psychology.
While a doctoral degree is typically required to become an organizational psychologist, you can still work in the organizational psychology field with lesser degrees. For example, with a bachelor's degree, you might pursue work as a human resources, labor relations or training specialist, positions that garnered $58,890 in mean annual wages, according to 2014 U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) data. The field is projected to grow by 11 percent from 2012-2022, with potentially 32,500 new jobs becoming available, according to the BLS.
Perhaps the job of survey researcher appeals to you. These workers earned mean annual wages of $54,730 in 2014, the BLS reports, and the field is anticipated to grow by 18 percent from 2012-2022. Industrial organizational psychologists working in the U.S. earned mean annual wages of $90,070, according to 2014 BLS data. Demand for the field is expected to be much higher than average, at 53 percent, from 2012-2022, shows the BLS.
- Human Resources, Training, and Labor Relations Specialists, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Employment Statistics, May 2014. http://www.bls.gov/oes/2011/may/oes131078.htm
- Human Resources Specialists and Labor Relations Specialists, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, Jan. 8, 2014. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes193022.htm
- Industrial-Organizational Psychologists, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Employment Statistics, May 2014. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes193032.htm
- Fastest Growing Occupations, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, Jan. 8 2014. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/fastest-growing.htm
- Psychologists, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, Jan. 8 2014. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/psychologists.htm
- Survey Researchers, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Employment Statistics, May 2014. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes193022.htm
- Survey Researchers, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, Jan. 8 2014. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/life-physical-and-social-science/survey-researchers.htm#tab-6