Online Colleges for Hospitality Management
- Food Service Managers, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook 2013-14. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/food-service-managers.htm
- Food Service Managers, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2014. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes119051.htm
- Gaming Managers, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2014. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/gaming-services-occupations.htm#tab-1
- Gaming Service Occupations, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook 2013-14. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/gaming-services-occupations.htm#tab-1
- Lodging Managers, of Labor Statistics Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2014. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes119081.htm
Travel, tourism and hospitality is so prevalent that some states see it as a main source of income. Positions in the hospitality industry cover a broad spectrum of career opportunities from entry-level maids and janitors to high-powered casino owners and CEOs. Much of the training for those in the hospitality industry comes from hands-on experience, and that can make moving up through the ranks easier than it might be in other professions. However, a degree in hospitality management could be beneficial to helping you advance more quickly or in having an edge when it comes to a coveted position.
Hospitality Management Online Programs
The online options for hospitality degrees are wide and varied, including certificates in gourmet cooking and catering, associate degrees in business administration or management, and bachelor or master's degrees in numerous management specializations. An associate degree in hospitality management, for example, can be a good starting point for those who want to pursue a career in various areas of hospitality service. The coursework for the associate degree is often tailored to the specific industry segment, allowing aspiring managers to closely target their chosen career path.
Examples of online degrees at the bachelor's level include a Bachelor of Arts in Service Management or a Bachelor of Business Administration, with an emphasis on customer care management. A Master of Business Administration with an emphasis on hospitality management could be suitable for those who prefer to move into upper management. There are also online doctorates and certificates that can advance your knowledge in management and help you to understand more about business trends.
There are many options for employment in the hospitality field, but growth in some fields is projected to be higher than in others, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Those in gaming services, for example, could see job growth of 10 percent from 2012 to 2022, which is as fast as average, while food service managers could see less employment growth of 2 percent during the same time, the BLS reports. Wages vary depending on career.
BLS data from 2014 showed that food service managers working in the U.S. made $53,500 in mean annual wages, lodging managers made $57,230, and gaming managers made $75,590. Other occupations that could draw the interest of those who enjoy the hospitality field include careers in sales work or in property, real estate and community association management.