Accredited Colleges with Online Degree Programs for Teaching Online Classes
- Instructional Coordinators, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, Jan. 8, 2014. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/instructional-coordinators.htm#tab-6
- Instructional Coordinators, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Employment Statistics, May 2014. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes259031.htm
- Postsecondary Education Administrators, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, Jan. 8, 2014. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/postsecondary-education-administrators.htm#tab-6
- Postsecondary Education Administrators, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Employment Statistics, May 2014. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes119033.htm
- Postsecondary Teachers, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, Jan. 8, 2014. http://www.bls.gov/ooh/education-training-and-library/postsecondary-teachers.htm#tab-6
- Postsecondary Teachers, Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Employment Statistics, May 2014. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes251199.htm
Online schools represent a new way of learning. However, they also require a new way of teaching. Traditional teaching methods don't always translate neatly to the virtual classroom. Online distance education degree programs offer instruction designed specifically for those planning to teach at an online school. In addition, programs are also available for those who expect to create the curriculum and implement learning models for online students. Together, teachers and administrators develop innovative ways to instruct students online from kindergarten through the doctoral level, and distance education programs are available to help these future educators.
Distance Education Online Colleges
Online teachers generally have to meet the same state licensure requirements as those working in a traditional classroom. In most instances, a bachelor's degree in liberal studies or interdisciplinary studies along with a teaching certificate could be enough. However, since virtual platforms present a unique learning environment, online schools could prefer job candidates who have a degree geared toward distance learning. Online distance education degree programs are often found at the graduate level. A master's degree in e-learning or distance learning should address the specifics of online teaching. Online distance education programs in curriculum and instruction are also available for those who would like to pursue a career outside of teaching. Finally, a Ph.D. in education could lead to a high-level job in administration or a teaching position at a college or university. Additionally, you should be able to find online graduate degrees available in e-learning through either a master's of education, doctor of education or Ph.D. in education.
Individuals with online distance education degrees could go on to work in one of three capacities: as a teacher, administrator or instructional coordinator. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) does not maintain separate data for online instructors, but does indicate that teaching jobs for postsecondary instructors should grow by 19 percent, faster than average, from 2012-2022. These postsecondary instructors had mean annual wages of $74,040 in 2014, reports the BLS. As well, jobs for postsecondary education administrators are expected to grow by 15 percent, also much faster than average, but they had higher mean incomes than postsecondary educators at $101,910 in 2014, the BLS reports.
Instructional coordinators, another potential career field related to developing curriculum, could see projected job growth of 13 percent, which is about as fast as average, between 2012 and 2022, according to the BLS. These professionals earned mean annual wages of $64,040 in 2014, the BLS reports. Online distance education programs could also lead to jobs in a number of other occupations, such as those for administrative services managers, human resources specialists, or librarians. Pursuing an online distance education degree could be a way to step out from behind the desk and to the front of the virtual blackboard.